Serving more than 250 students a year, YAA was established at Boys & Girls Clubs of San Dieguito in 2007 to accommodate the growing number of students interested in performing arts. YAA provides private music lessons, youth rock, jazz, and concert bands, group music opportunities, community outreach, performance training, theater workshops, visual arts summer and school break camps, and more. YAA provides young students, infants to 18, access to a myriad of quality programs designed to stimulate their GROWTH, CREATIVITY, and SELF-EXPRESSION through the arts.
We align our programs with the Boys and Girls Clubs of San Diego’s mission to provide POSITIVE activities to develop the education, health, self-esteem and character of youth. We do this through programs that encompass the 5 Elements of Youth Development from the Boys and Girls Clubs of America which encourages programs that:
- exist in a SAFE, POSITIVE ENVIRONMENT
- are FUN
- foster SUPPORTIVE RELATIONSHIPS
- offer increasing OPPORTUNITIES with high EXPECATIONS
- provide RECOGNITION for the work that youth are doing.
The Youth Arts Academy also strives to incorporate the 6 Characteristics of Creative Youth Development into its programs.
- Youth Are engaged in SAFE AND HEALTHY SPACES
- Programs focus on POSITIVE RELATIONSHIP-BUILDING
- Programs are ARTISTICALLY RIGOROUS and SET HIGH EXPECTATIONS of youth participants
- Programs are ASSET-BASED and help youth to build upon their inherent strengths and talents.
- Programs are YOUTH-DRIVEN and honor student voice.
- Program approaches and outcomes are HOLISTIC, recognizing a range of youth needs and often integrating with other service providers to create a coordinated community response to those needs.
When you send your child to the Youth Arts Academy to learn and grow their technique in the arts, you are doing so much more for them then just that. Our hope is that they will leave this space not only having grown as a better artist with heightened creativity and self-expression, but also armed with tools and skills that will prepare and support them and others throughout their life’s journeys.